Monday, July 21, 2008

Blogging on the TV

Yesterday, we did a little stimulus shopping. Well, OK; a little stimulus-plus shopping. Anyway, we now have a bright new shiny TV. It's an Insignia 42" 1080p LCD. We also bought some new DVD's to watch on our new TV after I spent several hours assembling the new TV stand for our new TV. Then this morning, I spent the last couple hours moving all the PC bits out here into the living room hoping to surf the web at 1920x1080, but such was not to be. The highest resolution supported by both the TV and our aging laptop is 1280x1040, so we have a square box centered on our 42" TV. That isn't so bad, but my even-older-than-our-aging-laptop wireless keyboard and mouse has such a weak signal, I have to sit in the middle of the living room in one of our dining room chairs because it doesn't work from the couch a mere 12 feet away from the receiver. Ah well. Next month, I was going shopping for a different keyboard anyway. I'd like something with an integrated track ball so I'm not rolling the mouse around on the couch.

Anyway, once I'm done with this, I will be out Googling around for updated drivers and/or firmware for the video card in our laptop and see if I can get full resolution on this thing. If not, then next month may be some sort of video dongle for the laptop that spits out 1920x1080.

Pictures when I get some time. I still have photos from our trip to Out of Africa (lions and tigers and bears; oh my) and both family reunions. I have got to get caught up, but now I can watch movies on a large enough screen to actually see what is going on.

No comments: