Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Ubuntu

I am posting this from Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn). I bought a book on Jerry Pournelle's recommendation called Ubuntu for Non-Geeks. I'm up to chapter four so far tonight and have Ubuntu installed on our newest laptop running dual-boot with Windows, and have successfully connected to the internet over Arcosanti's wireless network. In the past, I have played with Kubuntu and Xubuntu, but I think I prefer the straight Ubuntu so far.

The plan is that I will work my way through this book, then see what else I am missing that I use in Windows. Once I never have to boot into Windows and have Debbie nice and comfy with Ubuntu, it will be "Bu-bye Windows!" I'd like to be off Windows fairly soon as the laptop has become increasingly unstable over the last month. I don't have any malware that Microsoft's OneCare can find, but there is always the chance that something has sneaked in some back door. The most likely cause is either the usual Windows inter-application DLL warfare, or Windows has just built up enough cruft that is has become unstable.

Anyway, wish me luck.

No comments: