Wednesday, August 08, 2007

More Bells

Yesterday, I did six more boxes of bells. Today I did 10 boxes, one of which leaked (it happens; either I didn't line up the top and bottom part of the mold exactly, or the bronze was poured too hard, or the Greek god of hot bronze was having a little fun at my expense, or....), leaving me a net of nine boxes in three pours. I tried out a new design today, although I was less than thrilled with the results. I'll probably dedicate tomorrow to getting used to the new tool I used and experimenting with variations on the design. I don't know if we will be doing three heats tomorrow or not. We have one person going on vacation for a month starting tomorrow, one working in other departments for the rest of the week, and another leaving the site at the end of the week.

Anyway, still having fun. Next week, I start practicing for being on "tail" for the pours, using sand or water in a crucible so I can get used to the weight (total 100-120 pounds) and learning how to move with the person on the other end doing the actual pouring. The person with her back to the camera is on tail:

DSC03928

Her face is about 18 inches from a crucible full of 2200 degree molten bronze. Exciting stuff. Can't wait!!

No comments: