Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Just Some Random Blah, Blah, Blah.

Last weekend, we saw the third of The Three's of the Summer '07. Mostly they reinforce the old adage to quit while you're ahead. Shrek III was the most disappointing of the lot. Definitely wait for the DVD. Pirates III didn't seem to make a lot of sense, but we wrote it off to being the late show (10pm - nearly 1am) and the second movie we had watched that night. However since we saw it, I've heard a lot of similar complaints from others. We'll try it again when the DVD comes out. Spiderman III was the best of the three even if it did rely on alien black goo from a meteorite as the primary plot device. I realize that Marvel comics probably created that particular cliche, but I'm sure five minutes of thought would have resulted in a more satisfying replacement in the 21st century.

It's still hot in Arizona, in case anyone is wondering (90's for the last week).

It's still dry in Arizona, in case anyone is wondering (less than 10% humidity).

I will be leaving the maintenance department sometime in the next month or so. I'm not entirely sure where I will end up. I had originally talked to the manager in the foundry last Thursday and he was going to start things from his end. Then over the weekend, the manager of the ceramics department mentioned that he may be getting a new position the first part of July and would I be interested in making ceramic bells. Perfect timing, as usual. In any case, I will be leaving maintenance to make bells around the first part of July. I just don't know if I will be making bronze or ceramic bells.

I've spent the last several days digging a really big hole. The leach field for the showers and wash machine down in camp plugged up over two years ago. My crack boss has ignored the problem while sewage has been backing up into the showers, so I forced the issue by starting a bunch of digging to find the problem. Over a month later, I'm still digging.

Did I mention that it is hot and dry in Arizona? I'm blogging wearing nothing...

...but a pair of shorts. (Ha! Had you going there for a second!!)

I downloaded some software for ripping DVD's. My problem is storage space. A clean rip (no compression, full screen, surround sound intact, etc.) takes somewhere around 6.5 gigs. The only way to store a decent number is to get one of the new terabyte external hard drives. The problem is that they run over $350. And yes I realize that is less than .40/gig, but it is still $350 for something to store movies on. It's hard to think of anything more frivolous than that. The other option is to store them is some sort of compressed format, but, unlike MP3's, I can definitely see the degradation in both the video and sound, which will drive me nuts.

My fancy straw hat died a while back. The wind blew the top out of it while I was doing a tour, so I walked around the site leading a group of giggling tourists with a hat that looked like an opened tin can. Now I'm looking for a replacement, but I can buy a decent used car for what a hat costs. In the meantime, I'm wearing a black baseball cap.

Did I mention I've been spending all day in the sun digging holes? And that it is hot and dry here?

Not much else.

No comments: