Monday, November 07, 2005

Busy weekend, but what's new. Debbie and I spent Friday evening through Saturday morning at Lake Ann Baptist Camp for their Camp Captains retreat. I was just extra baggage; Debbie is the one that organizes camp every year. But the food wasn't bad and the speeches weren't too boring and it is a nice camp.

Anyway, we got home around 2pm. All three of us kicked out some outdoor work. Nestina had to knock off to get ready for work around 3:30 and Debbie and I stopped shortly after. Not much got done, but at least some progress was made. We only have about two or three weekends left before snow moves in, so any little bit helps.

Sunday was just Sunday. Choir is starting up again. I'm not sure I really want to do it, but I don't seem to have a choice in these things. My voice is completely shot and a year of extensive medical treatment from two different doctors doesn't seem to be doing any good. In fact, it just gets worse from one week to the next. My range is down to less than two octaves, and on bad days (which is about 3 out of 5) I can't sing at all. About 1 day in 5, I can't even talk. None of which matters, of course. "Thou shalt be in choir." I think that is in 1 Opinions or something.

I don't know that I have ever bought anything from Sony, but I know for a fact I never will in the future. If a business owner that has been hit by this has brains and balls (a rare combination, to be sure), they will file charges under the various malware statutes that exist. This is a virus that intentionally damages a PC. IANAL, but I can't see how rendering a PC inoperative by inserting a CD could be legal. Of course, Sony is doing it, not some teenage hacker in his parents' basement. Sony, like Disney and Microsoft and Halburton and [insert any multinational corporation], owns Congress, the courts, and the President. Anything they do is, by definition, legal. Anything we do is, by definition, illegal.

The suburbs of Paris are burning. Here is the ABC News take on this. The media seem determined to ignore the story. But we have this thing called the internet. Jerry Pournelle and Fred Reed both have much to say about this. Expect the same thing to happen in black neighborhoods in our major cities sooner rather than later. "We want independence; just don't stop the welfare checks." I live a long way from the nearest black neighborhood. That is by design. And I can get even farther away in a matter of hours.

And enough for one day.

No comments: