Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Chinese successfully launched two astronauts and the first module of their space station today. There is no universal law that says the first permanently inhabited off-world post will be speaking English. In fact, the way things look right now, I'd say the odds are against it.

Gene Roddenberry as prophet? I've been seeing more and more of these on-demand manufacturing devices. (Yes, I know that Roddenberry was neither the only or even the first to envision on-demand manufacturing, but his Replicator (tm) has enjoyed deeper penetration into the pop culture.) Right now they are crude, limited, and expensive. Sort of like where computers were in the 1960's. Will Moore's Law apply to these as well?

On the home front, we have a crew at the house today installing the hardwood on the main floor. It will take them most of the week to do everything. I need to get some carpets for in front of the doors. Sand is now the mortal enemy. I need to get walks installed, which will help a lot, but spending $16,000 on the floor will leave us a little short on cash for a while.

Not much else going on. Tonight I need to call through the soccer team and remind everyone that soccer practice is at 3:30 instead of 5 due to the guys' varsity game.

Slow week and I really can't think of anything to write about.

No comments: