Friday, July 15, 2005

As Debbie indicated in her last post, we've been really busy lately. Last weekend, in keeping with being selfish and immature, we stayed home both Saturday and Sunday and worked out in the garage. We got things done that have been on the to-do list for two years. I expect more weekends just like it. We were both exhausted, but we made a huge dent in the mess in the garage (fire is our new best friend; it turns bulky, hard-to-dispose items into fine particles that take up about 1/100th of the volume and can be easily transported in a wheelbarrow).

Monday was Debbie's Bible study, so I worked on computer junk and Nestina studied for her life guard training class at work. Tuesday, as Debbie already mentioned, was a day at Michigan Adventure. The nice part about that was we just turned the kids loose, then the two of us found chairs and a quiet spot to just sit and talk. It's been years since we have been able to do that. Wednesday was youth group, Thursday was supposed to be a day off, but I had a doctor's appointment, then picked up our walk-behind tractor from the shop, put in a couple hours of work, then home. Debbie was out with people from work, so it was Nestina and I on our own again. I helped her run through more life guard stuff, then she went to bed early. Debbie and I did some reading, then hit the sack ourselves.

And that has been our week. Tonight, I plan to work outside. Tomorrow, we have the annual Luau with the youth group, but not until 4pm, so I still plan to kick out a bunch of work in the morning and early afternoon. Now that the walk-behind is working for the first time in two years, I need to seriously do some mowing. Our trails are all blocked and over-grown and the driveways are not looking much better. But I would still like to keep hammering away at cleaning out the garage. We'll see.

I had a meeting with our pastor Thursday morning. I'm pretty much done as a deacon, and our role in youth ministry will be limited. I can live with that. We'll just let things be for a time and see what happens. I do know that I won't be spending nearly as much time at the church as I have over the last six years. I have a house to finish and property to get into shape and it will never get done as long as everyone and everything else has priority. So that will change. If people want to accuse me of being selfish, then by God I'm going to show them what selfish really looks like.

As a libertarian, I don't agree with government intrusion into much of anything, especially when in comes to licensing. Most people who have them will tell you a license is a nice piece of paper suitable for framing and not much else. The worst, of course, is the marriage license. Maybe I missed a step, but I don't recall taking Debbie for a test-drive in front of some county licensing board to prove I knew how. Other than creating jobs for government workers and restricting everyone else for no purpose, there is simply no point.

Anyway. The one human activity that isn't licensed certainly needs to be judging from some recent stories. How can a person have enough mental activity to sustain life and believe that a 3-year-old "might be gay"? Sounds like some projection going on there, which might be a good thing, given where Ronnie Paris Jr. will likely spend a significant part of the rest of his life. I hear prison inmates really like baby-killers....

Another case of a parent who shouldn't have been. Of course, the lawyers/vultures are feeding on the baby's still-warm body. I guess we shouldn't be surprised by that. We all know what happens to people who refuse to learn from history (or even be aware that there is such a thing).

Anyway, that's enough for one day.

No comments: