Friday, April 22, 2005

Last night was Nestina's first away game. I had wanted to go with them on the road trip, but the game was moved up and hour and I had things I had to finish at work. But they won again even without my moral support. That makes 4-1 on the season. Go Blue!!

Anyway, I made a few stops on the way home last night and pulled in the driveway just as Nestina called for one of us to drive into town and pick her up. Her and a friend were trying to find formal dresses for this weekend's Key Club District Conference in Battle Creek, so I sat in the truck and read while they played dress-up at Nestina's mom's place. Two hours later, they were both set up for the weekend, and Nestina and I headed home. She showed off her two choices for formals to Debbie and myself. Of course, I liked one, Debbie liked the other, and Nestina doesn't make decisions. She just packed both of them.

I played taxi driver this morning and took Nestina to school. We won't see her until Sunday evening. This is only the second time she has been out of town since moving in with us. And just like when we went on vacation, I felt compelled by the god of parenting to say all the usual stupid things parents tell there kids, including the oldie but goodie, "Be careful." Uh, yea. Thanks dad!! If you hadn't said that, I'm sure I would have run out in front of a semi! But say them I must. Trying not to is like trying to keep your dog from licking himself when you have company.

I stumbled across a good web site run by an organization of Christians who are scientists (as opposed to Christian Scientists, who are in reality neither). The American Scientific Affiliation "is a fellowship of men and women in science and disciplines that relate to science who share a common fidelity to the Word of God and a commitment to integrity in the practice of science." I haven't had a chance to read very many articles here, but this one on radiometric dating needs to be required reading for every Christian in the United States. Yes it's long, and yes it has big words. Read it anyway. This article makes an important distinction between evolution and evolutionism. It also includes a call for everyone in the origins debate to do some growing up.

Debbie is meeting me in Traverse City for dinner tonight while we are kid-less, then home for a quiet evening of movies and early bed-times. Yes, I know: we are officially old.

1 comment:

Admin said...

Um, I didn't compare Nestina to a dog licking itself. I said that trying not to say the stupid parent stuff every time she leaves the house is like trying to stop a dog from licking itself. Slight difference ;-)

And I have no idea what you could possibly mean; we are as pure as the driven snow. We would never do anything icky just because we had the house to ourselves for a couple days.